Yes oh yes, this wonderful fruit.Pomegranate.
I've never seen one in my life until my dad brought it home Friday night with all the other obscure little fruits he decided to spontaneously buy (including one with furry hairs covering its shell, and another grapefruit-shaped lime-green one as well. Anyone have a clue what these fruits are called?).
So I asked my dad, "What's this fruit called?" And he pulls out his receipt that fell to the ground (and totaled to about a hundred bucks) and looked through the list until he found the name-
"Pe..me..gra..nte.."
"Pomegranate?"
"Yes! How do you spell that?"
"Hm.. pom.. e-g-r-a-n-a-t-e."
"Oh! Granate, like the stone?"
"Nah, it's different."
So I cut open this fat little fruit (it was shaped quite funnily, with a little tiny stalk of a neck awkwardly placed on its round and very obese body), and I was surprised to see that this pomegranate was no apple or pear. It was made of seeds. (Please keep in mind that I've never seen anything like this before!) After turning the fruit around for a few minutes, debating how I should initiate a plan of action, trying out where my teeth was able to bite the best... my dad finally took the fruit out of my hands and simply bit into it, just like that. Of course, a few seconds later, he was ungracefully spitting out all the seeds onto a napkin (or the floor), as if he were some kind of projectile-shooting machine. The seed-spitting shooter.
Well anyways, it was a nice and tasty fruit. A pleasant suprise, if I might say. And sometimes, you just have to get past the technicalities and fears and take a bite, no matter how unappealing things might look. You know what they say- take a leap.
Of course, sometimes you're faced with fruits like durian, which my dad also forced me to try out... just looking at the word makes me want to run far, far away to the outerspace where no such thing as durian exists. Not really though. I love this earth too much. As my Sunday School class today taught me, this love for Earth should be so abundant and so overflowing that we should simply refuse to eat things like cheap hamburgers. No, I don't get it either. But still, as much as I loathe durian now, at least I took that bite. Won't ever make the same mistake again, that's for sure.
1 comment:
pomegranate apparently makes your skin more clear.. i have to eat more of it o.o
anywaaay i love obscure fruits! or fruits in general, but trying new food is fun. did you figure out what the other two were?
and durian is a bit odd... but personally i like durian chips (http://img.en.china.cn/0/0,0,4,671,432,288,dab094d0.jpg)
they taste like rather thick potato chips and are more crunchy :D
Post a Comment