I remember caving in.
I remember being stretched at one end,
Pulled at the other,
Then ripped apart from head to toe,
As if I were a hated toy.
I remember screaming, and crying,
And pounding at the wall but finding
That there was no escape.
That no one could hear me.
That I was in fact,
Alone.
I remember searching.
I remember making blind passes,
Desperately grasping at any remnant of love,
Reaching out my arms toward any open door,
Only to be shut out.
Only to pushed down again,
And again,
And again.
But then I remember you.
And I remember how reassuring that old tissue box was,
And how consoling your senseless jokes were.
I remember how you tried to bake me apple pie,
And how your face crumbled when you discovered it salty rather than sweet.
I remember how you attempted to call me with words of support,
And how you serenaded my brother when I refused to answer the phone.
I remember how you sent me kiwis through the mail,
How you hung portraits of Pokemon characters on my wall,
How you tried to sign me up for a therapist,
And contacted the rejection line instead.
I remember being difficult.
I remember walking ahead and leaving a mess,
Moving forward and leaving you behind,
Running away and leaving no trace.
And then I remember you,
Picking up my trash,
Calling out my name,
Searching for my face.
And you always found me.
I just never found you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment