I woke up this morning thinking, gee. today's going to suck. I didn't finish reading Huckleberry Finn for AP Lang, I forgot about my APUSH group project, and my physics test was today. I didn't really know what to do, since the things I hadn't done was just so overwhelming and there wasn't much I could do about them all. So I just resorted to reading a few pages of Huckleberry Finn on the bus (which failed miserably, since it was still dark outside and the bus vibrated/shook/moved-more-than-a-mom-in-labor-does.)
So first period, APUSH, here I come.
I walk into class, and one of my partners had this really hopeful look in her eyes when she saw me, and she was like, "You have it, right?" all expectantly, since I usually do do all the work in group projects (simply because I'm a control freak or my group members usually can't think for themselves). Well, the one time I decide to sit back and let things work themselves out on their own, nothing works. Goodness, why doesn't it work for me when I change roles and become the slacker? And then my other group member completely forgot. I quote: "Uhh.. what project?" But luckily, we were all good at BSing things (practice?), and we got through the presentation and told Mr. Edwards we'd give him the handout at lunch. Easy fix.
What frustrates me about this class though is that the teacher hasn't updated anything since the first test. And what'd I get on that test? A C. So what do I have in that class? A C.
Man. This isn't going anywhere. The mood in that class was so negative and tense this morning, because the girl next to me was so pissed off at Mr. Edwards for not updating grades, and Mr. Edwards was so pissed off at being scolded by a junior everday. Tensionnn.
Second period, AP Lang.
Guess what? No quiz until Thursday.
It's going to be okay.
Third period, newspaper.
HAHA. So there's this game that's stuck in one of the cabinets in the newspaper room, and this game was invented by some messed up dude who had nothing better to do than to think of cynical murder plots and torture tactics or something. See, in this game, each person holds this curved, claw-shaped piece of metal. Creepy music starts playing, and the second the music stops, you have to try to be the first person to press the button on the end of your piece of metal. It's supposed to test your reaction time. But here's the thing- if you're not the first one to press the button, the metal electrifies your hand. And it's not just a little sting either; it hurts. (I know right, what kind of person would play this?! Well, newspaper people). Then the teacher walks in the room, and one girl goes, "Hey! Mr. Jackson! Come play this with us! Just press the button as soon as the music starts playing." Unfortunately, if you press the button before the music stops, it still shocks you. So Mr. Jackson, oblivious to it all, got electrified, threw the thing across the room, yelled "OW!" and jumped a few feet backwards, then screamed, "NOT FUNNY!" and stormed out of the room. It was quite hilarious. Of course, he came back into the room laughing a few minutes later, but seriously, that reaction was priceless.
Fourth period, spanish.
This class is a joke.
Fifth period, physics.
The test was difficult. It was very difficult. I thought I knew it all, but apparently not.
But hey, whatever. Even though I did practice problems until midnight every night and even though I listened in class and took notes and even sat through my mom's own personalized physics lectures, my brain was still empty when I took the test. All for nothing.
But maybe I'll do better than I think. Hopefully.
And finally, sixth period, pre-calculus.
Well, the only reason I'm not doing so well in this class is because of little errors that can be fixed in a second, but I never know I'm making these mistakes until the test comes along. It bugs me. And the kid who sits in front of me does nothing but cheats, and he's making hundreds.
That's unfair.
But once again, there's always next time. And I guess I have to deal with who I am- I work hard, I don't cheat, and sometimes none of it pays off. Trust me- I've tried being different. Like for APUSH, I tried to slack off in the group project. I've tried cheating (it was tempting). And well, when I slacked off, nothing got done, and when I cheated, I felt sooo so so terribly guilty for the next week (I still do). It just doesn't work. And I guess that's a good thing; at least I have a conscience, right? That's definitely something to be proud of in this day and age.
Maybe I can put that on my college applications.
Dear Harvard,
I have a conscience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment