And a jazz dancer, and a comedian, and a playwright, and conductor Mickey Mouse. Oh yes, my piano teacher is ridiculous. I've started to have lessons with my duet partner (and they always end up running an hour overtime), and today, he just went overboard. I mean, I'm used to the occasional opera singing while he's illustrating what exactly should come from my fingers out to the keys, but today, he started dancing and prancing (I'm not exaggerating) around the piano. I could not stop laughing, and it took every effort to supress the guffaws (I'm not very appealing when I laugh) dying to burst out.
I wish I could have videotaped it. His facial expression was just priceless, and I must say, his happiness was quite contagious. He told us to paste huge clown-like smiles across our faces when we reached the end of the song, to suddenly bounce up simultaneously in our seats and swish our heads to make that certain kind of eye contact that has that mischievous glint. He demonstrated it for us. And then he demonstrated the way we shouldn't play, which was even more hilarious, because he bobbed his head left to right as if he were an Egyptian princess, then moved his head front to back like he was the old camel carrying the Egyptian princess. I could tell he was having fun.
Anyways, we barely got past the first movement. He really did stop us at every measure to give a five-minute intermission, complete with a stand-up comedy show and everything. It's so much more fun to have lessons with another person.
On a more serious note though, competition is in two weeks, and neither of us have memorized our part. So maybe the teacher should calm down on the dramatic effects and let us get through the songs. Maaan. Oh, and GHP interview's coming up (which I'm actually pretty excited for, minus the fact that I'm competing against five of my best friends), and so is my physics test and apush test and college applications and job interviews and marriage-partner-quests and tax dues and retirement questions.
Yup, it's all coming down pretty quickly. I better get moving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment