I never thought I'd ever ever pay money to be scared. That I'd even think of going to a haunted house. Heck, I can't even walk around my house without getting spooked about some creepy dude hiding in my shower. And there's a reason I don't watch horror movies. So when I found myself waiting in the cold last night in a ridiculously long line for Netherworld, I seriously did not know what on earth I was going to do with myself; should I leave? Go the bathroom? Cry? Laugh? Scream? Suck it up and just be quiet? Oh my goodness.
And then I saw the monsters. They were strutting around the parking lot (where we were waiting to get in), creeping behind unexpecting people and nearly jumping on them, so that the people would let out a bloodcurling scream that split the air and sent chills down my spine. When I saw one with white skin and an ugly, swollen, sucked-in face heading toward our group, my heart started to race, and you can not believe the fright that overtook me. I tried to back up so that I could somehow camoflauge with the background or become so invisible that the monster would just pass by and scare someone else... I couldn't handle it. So the moment he turned his back, I walked away as fast as possible- fast enought to get away but slow enough to show that I wasn't running away from him, because then he'd just start chasing after me (yes I was analyzing the situation as I made my great escape). Ohmygoodness, I was laughing, but I started to tear up because I was so scared. That's when I realized I couldn't do this. I really really couldn't. Everybody was laughing because they thought my fear was just hilarious, but if I was going to be scared while I was waiting in line then how was I going to deal with the house itself? I began to jump at every little scream, and I became so paranoid that I would look around every few minutes. At one point, this boy behind us screamed in an attempt to scare his girlfriend, who ended up brushing it off as another stupid act. But I screamed like I had fallen off a cliff and was awaiting my fiery death below, holycrap. I couldn't handle this. And then I was hyperventilating by the time I finally walked on that ramp to enter the house; I had to force my breathing to calm down. What had I gotten myself into?
I had to hold on to the jacket of the person in front of me the whole time.
I couldn't stand up straight; what if I bumped into some kind of hand that was hanging off from the ceiling? I had to look around at every corner to check if someone was hiding there. (Of course they'd just come from behind instead). I have to admit- the effects were incredible. It was scary. But I suppose that's not saying much coming from me... but I wasn't the only one getting scared. We walked through twisted vortexes where everything around you was spinning so that you could barely walk straight, and when you finally grasped the railings this face would slide down and freak you out. We had to trek through intestines (or whatever that squishy junk was) and shelves of faces and halls of mirrors (there were so many mirrors in that hall that when you looked around, you couldn't tell that there was a place where there wasn't a mirror, and that's exactly when a monster would jump out) and a room of dummies...
By the end though (it took a while), I was able to get used to it. Definitely still scared, but instead of hurrying along to try to catch up with the people in front and avoiding eye contact with any kind of monster, I began to look them in the face and mask my fear by saying things like "Oh hey hey hey, yeah hey, yeah you're scary, hahaha good job, haha hey yeah bye" or something like that. I started opening my eyes. Goodness, everything was so disturbing. I'm not even going to begin to describe it.
Finally, we got out, and the fresh air felt wonderful. No more scary monsters...
and then they told me there was more.
But I sucked it up and got through it, I dealt with the guy who chased after us with a chainsaw, and I laughed. I swear, I will never be scared of these guys again. When I saw the monster who I had ran away from earlier, I smirked and thought, gee, he's not that scary. And we rode home singing to christmas songs on this CD Christine burnt, and were so much in the Christmas mood that we stopped at Waffle House for some hot chocolate before going home (ended up back home at 1:30 am). I didn't have any nightmares, and I slept the best I have in quite a while. No more fears. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment