Sunday, April 4, 2010

I'm too young to die!

Life is so fleeting. It's scary, when you actually start to think about it.
I mean, every second, someone dies. In fact, more than just one someone probably dies; it's probably five, or ten, or twenty, if you put the entire world into focus. And while these people are dying by the second, we're over here, typing away on our two-hundred dollar laptops, browsing through practically the entire Earth manifested on these sites. Why are we the ones who get to be healthy and alive, when we're probably more corrupt than they are? It almost makes me feel guilty. But see- that's the problem- almost. Because I'm so cooped up in my little Johns Creek bubble that I can't honestly and fully comprehend the suffering that's actually going on out there. Because I'd rather whither away in my room, studying about all the mistakes we've made in our short time of a US History, while telling myself I'm too young and too busy and too insignificant to donate.

But not only that, but there are so many chances to die. I know it's a morbid thing to think about, but it's so true. The fact that we live in an area with so many cars probably exponentially increases the possibility of us dying. My next door neighbor could knock in my door with a hunting rifle if she wanted to. In fact, my math teacher could too (she takes off days for school to go hunting). Every time we cook, we could burn down the house. Those butcher knives are pretty dangerous too, and the sketchy aisles dotting downtown Atlanta makes everything just perfect. A lightning bolt could hit the tree outside my house. A water pipe could explode. My computer could explode.

It's so scary. Just because I haven't had some traumatizing life-death experience does not make it less probable for something bad to happen to me. Or you.

And then, if we start talking things on the spiritual level, we don't even have to be alive in the first place. God totally could've just burned the entire world down a few centuries ago. He could've just wiped out the nation with that big flood. He didn't have to keep his promises. It's really scary. And amazing. I don't deserve to be alive, and yet, here I am, still typing away on this laptop. Thank God, literally, that He's the way He is.

No comments: