Thank you x)I have a gift.
I never knew that I would ever be able to say that about myself, because I always seemed to be so mediocre, so average, so regular and everyday that there couldn't have possibly been anything to separate me from anybody else. When I see the professional pianists play, I wonder why I can't be as good, why I can't play things by ear and compose music like it's my sixth sense. When I see how the guys in academic bowl compete, I wonder why I'm not as smart; when I watch the monologues of our school's thespians, I wonder why I'm not as funny; when I hear my friends play instruments, or read their stories, or watch them dance, or examine their art, I wonder to myself why I got the short end of the stick, and why I couldn't have some extraordinary talent that made me who I was.
But yesterday, it came.
Guys, you might not believe it, but I'm good at speakng and writing, or more specifically, slam poetry, oh yes. It was overwhelming, how many heartfelt compliments I got. But when I got home and reread the poem I had written, I seriously wondered where those words had come from, where that sudden passion erupted from when I began swinging to the ring of the beat. It wasn't from me, that's for sure. It just happened.
And I am so excited, and yet, so afraid. I have a gift...
and now, well, I have to use it. What a task.
Anyways, I just came back from an awesome one-on-one with one of my friends. I love those kinds of hang-outs, when it's just you and a friend, and no one else. I was originally invited to help with a bible study lesson, but there ended up being no kids, so one of the moms came and gave us a lecture. I could feel a bit of awkwardness in the room, but she raised a good question- Why are you Christian? I think I'll mull that one over a bit. Then, we drove around, sang songs, told stories, stopped at Barnes and Nobles... I'm so satisfied. :)
1 comment:
DUDE you were SO SO SO good jessie! i couldnt find you after to tell you that ><
i was thinking while you were reciting, like "dang, where did this girl get all this passion,words, and emotion from?!"
if you had poetry out loud at your school...you so totally could've gone to nationals.
glad you found your talent <3 :)
Post a Comment