Okay, you know what's an extremely strange sight to see?
A group of dorky asian dads, chilling on a wall, and smoking. It just feels so out of place and so wrong and I had to look twice for a second to see if I was really seeing what I was seeing. I was so confused! Because all this time, I've been discussing about how it's so stupid to bend to pressure to do something like smoke, and here are fathers of elementary school children, fathers who are way past the pressures of adolescence, smoking. So the reason can't be to look cool (because the world really would be ending then). Could it be because they think they're old now, so it shouldn't really matter anyways? Because their lives are about to end so they might as well make the most out of it? (Although I don't quite see how smoking is equal to "making the most" out of life). What's really sad though is that they've got elementary and middle school children- kids who are so easily influenced by their parents' habits, kids who will look at their fathers and think wow, smoking is so cool. It's terrible, really, and there's nothing stopping them now either. Or maybe adults have pressures too. Maybe it never ends, this desire to be someone different, this desire to be accepted. Growing up really is scary.
By the way, last week's episode of The Office was the funniest I've seen in a while, and the costuming in Alice in Wonderland is beautiful. That is all.

1 comment:
Old people smoke because they got themselves caught in this strange cycle of addiction; not only is tobacco naturally addictive, but when life starts becoming rough, smoking is how they relieve themselves, I suppose. When that's gone, they don't really know how to cope.
My dad used to smoke, and he admitted that it was because he was stupid to begin. It was something to do with teenage pressure. He quit for us kids for about 8 years, fell back into the habit, and then quit again and never smoked ever again.
Enough ranting.
Post a Comment