Do you know who Paul Farmer is? If not, you should at least know who Mother Teresa is. These two figures have been extremely inspirational to me, especially Paul Farmer (whose book- Mountains beyond Mountains- is extremely amazing by the way). He pretty much changed the entire way medicine was looked at in third-world countries, by making it possible to cure diseases that the world thought was impossible to be cured (like tuberculosis). He built a hospital in Haiti and gave medical aid for free (with money only from charity help), transforming and saving lives; then he expanded this method to other places, like Puerto Rico and Russia. He's genius. But when I was in APUSH the other day, these two girls (don't get me wrong- I love these girls) completely bashed on him and referred to him as conceited and one who hated all who weren't poor, which is why they hated him and didn't want to donate to his organization- Partners in Health. I'm not gonna lie- I was so offended. Obviously, someone like him who's doing so much is going to know he's doing so much and will be a bit conceited, but the point is, at least he's doing something rather than sitting around in an office all day and wishing for a better life. He's saving lives and doing the dirty work that the majority of America is too scared to do. He's living to his utmost potential and that is exactly what I want to do. And if you're going to hate me for it, if you're going to refuse to donate to charity because you don't believe the money is actually going somewhere, then you'd better change how you look at things before the people in Haiti start dying by the hundreds (which unfortunately has already happened... pray and donate!) Then they started talking about how Farmer hated all the rich people and only loved you if you were poor. Obviously, this is an exaggeration, but there is truth to these thoughts. Rich people are the ones after all who spend so much money on things like manicures and pet grooming while starving kids are dying not too far away... excuse me for the extremity. But man, I got so worked up, and I actually threw a pen. Yes, a flying projectile.
It's just that... making such a huge impact as Farmer did is what I want to do if God wills it, and when someone bashes on that, well, I can go crazy. Plus, charity is not bad. Goodness.
Anyways, I'm unbelievably happy for Monique, Kasandra, and Rebecca- we started an accountability group, met today, and had an incredible time. I'm so excited for the ways God will work through us. I've been praying this past year for an accountability group, and I was so focused on the thought that it would be of me and my regular group of girls, that I didn't realize that I could make one with my own church friends... I'm so happy. The thing I really need to work on is like Rebecca said- trust. You know, if God told me not to go to college, I'd be scared to death and refuse to listen. I'm so stubborn, so set on this one path in my life that anything that was different would absolutely scare me to death. That's the same for not getting into a good college, not making it to GHP, not getting a good-paying job when I grow up... these are all the things I absolutely crave and desire and want for myself but what in the world would happen if God told me no? That would be one heck of a struggle. I need to stand strong. But as Monique said- He'll open and close doors for me. And plus, He knows what's best for me.
So, trust. That's all I can do.

(picture taken by the amazing Alice Young.
On another random note (wow, this post is pretty long), have you ever thought about how funny it is that the font/font sizes of words can mold you into a different person? I'm a typography freak, I'm not going to lie (newspaper did this to me), but Papyrus (which I hate) and Comic Sans (which I hate even more) give completely different impressions from Times New Roman or Arial. I just thought it was funny. How'd that even happen? That the aesthetic nature of a font can change you from a immature boy to a sophisticated woman? (No, there are no sexist/feminist undertones to that comment). This is why the Internet is so dishonest.
Intimate touching for the win.
LOL So I saw these youtube comments asking what "FTW" meant, and someone replied with "Oh, it means 'what the eff' backwards. Like, 'eff the WHAT?'"
Cracked me up.
I'm so bipolar that I'm back by the way, if you haven't caught on yet.
PS: donate to Haiti relief fund with Red Cross- text "Haiti" to 90999 to donate ten bucks. Pray too. You know that when they did a Facebook event for forty days of prayer to stop the crime rate in one of the most dangerous places in California, that for that entire stretch of forty days, not a single crime happened? That says something.
No comments:
Post a Comment