Monday, January 18, 2010

I'd Rather just Stay in Dreamland.

This is my second post of 2010! Hooray! I hope this becomes habit, just not at 1 in the morning, like I did for my last post and this one. It's not healthy. But really, my sleep schedule is so messed up that I literally can't go to sleep at eleven. It's not physically possible anymore; I literally lie in bed tossing and turning until two a.m. Then I have a dream that I never remember, which is just about one of the worst feelings to feel when you wake up, because you know you had a fantastic dream, but you just can't place what it was about or who was in it, and so you try to go back to sleep to enter back into that ideal world but you just can't. So then you have to grudgingly wake up and live your boring life as if on repeat... I wish I could remember my dreams and enter them at command. Like, if I were about to get shot or something, I could just snap my fingers and find myself drinking pina coladas on a cloud. Of course, I'd still end up getting shot, but at least I wouldn't die with the fright I'm sure would overtake me in that situation... hopefully that won't happen though. (According to the facebook surveys though, my future doesn't look like too bright. Somehow, I'm going to end up in an electric chair sometime in my life).

(These are called nacreous clouds, in Antarctica... don't they just give you chills?)

So today, I had lunch with two Tech girls; they didn't know each other, but my mom decided to set up a meeting between the two since they're looking into the same major, and one of the girls was feeling a bit lonely over there, so my mom played the heroine and saved her social life. I just sipped my water and nibbled quietly on my almond and cashew chicken as I sucked the marrow out of their conversation. It was code talk. Casual mentions about taking BME classes and hating ECE and EE, about Rush and REs and Co-Ops. But it was so interesting. One of the girls- Willa- I've known her since I was in second grade, because she lived in my neighborhood, and we'd have bible study together, and she babysat me one summer, and I grew up admiring her because she could stuff a million grapes in her mouth. And now, here she is, this sophisticated college girl already working with a steady pay. I can't believe how quickly she grew. And listening to them talk- it made me realize how real and how close college is. A few years ago, college was a ridiculous thing to talk about, because it seemed so fake. But it's coming, people. It's coming, and we're going to be swiped out of our hometown before we can blink twice.

But I'll save that sentimental nostalgic post for later, since I do have another year and a half to contemplate how close college is. But the thing is, I need to stop idealizing that place, college, because really, it's just another school. Yeah, I need to calm down.

After all, I'm only a junior. Right?

No comments: