They're scary, just look at how they walk. Look at how the ends of their mouths tug down, look at how empty their laugh sounds, how hollow their eyes look. Is it contagious? Probably, like the plague. I'm the kind of person who likes to have absolute control, but they, they catch me off guard. I find myself stumbling over my words trying to find something consoling to say. I rummage through my head for a personal experience. No? Words of encouragement? "I'm sorry..." as if that helped. A timid pat on the shoulder- well, that was awkward.
And then it comes, and I start despising you, and I start yelling at you to stop hunting for pity, and then I hate you and I hate you and I hate you until I start to slowly transform into another one of you. Oh, how awful. You monster, you, for not swallowing up the rainbows and ponies that were supposed to have been fed to you daily as a child; you abnormal alien, you, for not blissfully living in ignorance, away from the world, evil. Why'd I have to be brought into this?
But why must you focus so stubbornly on your pitiful misfortunes when there's a blue sky above you, a plate of food in front of you, a house on your left and a house on your right, and an easy escape behind you? Why is it so necessary for you to spend that much more energy on a frown?
How I do fear those depressed people. It must be a terrible thing to say, and I'd like to have a disclaimer right now and say that I don't mind if you're depressed every now and then; life happens. I'm just scared, that's all. Scared that it's contagious. I am a very easily impacted person, after all.
But maybe, instead of complaining, I should try helping. Yes, that would be quite a start.

No comments:
Post a Comment